Police in hunt for Ben Needham find toy car

Investigators searching for evidence to finally solve the mystery of what happened to British toddler Ben Needham on the Greek island of Kos have found a toy car.


The little yellow car was found at a secret fly-tipping dump just hours before police were due to call off their search.


Ben went missing in 1991 when he was just 21 months old. He had been with his grandparents at the farmhouse they were renovating, while his mother Kerry went to work at a nearby hotel.


Until now, his family have had no indication of what happened to the little boy.


Now police are certain that Ben died under the tracks of a digger being driven by Konstantinos “Dino” Barkas, who then buried his body rather than face up to what he had done.


Breaking down when police showed her the toy, Ms Needham is believed to have confirmed that Ben was almost certainly playing with the matchbox car on the day he vanished.


It was discovered among dust and dirt at a site where Barkas is said to have dumped debris.


Police believe Ben’s body was buried elsewhere on the island. They have now called off their search and will only carry out more digs if new information comes to light.


Ms Needham has now vowed to keep on looking for his body until she is finally able to lay her son to rest.


She said: “I want to tear up the whole island to find him. I can’t say goodbye until I know exactly where he is. One man has taken a secret to his grave. Police believe that.”


Ms Needham, who was just 19 when her son vanished, added: “They know enough information to know that happened. Someone else has come forward who was a teenager working for Dino.”


She said that worker had asked Dino about Ben’s disappearance only for Dino to say it was not possible he had knocked him over, before he backtracked in 2012 by saying while he didn’t know for sure that he had hit him, it was possible.


The digger driver has since lost a cancer battle and devastated Ms Needham said she hoped the man suspected of killing her son was now “burning in hell”.
Police have been searching two sites on the island, with a team of investigators spending more than 3,000 hours sifting through 1,200 tonnes of material.