A dead bat discovered in in partially eaten packet of Fresh Express Organic Marketside Spring Mix prompts a CDC test for rabies and regional recall.
After a dead bat was found inside a bagged salad sold at a Florida Walmart, a regional recall was announced. The CDC also initiated an investigation and has warned Americans against eating salad from such packages.
Testing for rabies:
The bat was discovered by two people inside a bag of Organic Marketside Spring Mix, after they had eaten some of it. They reported the incident to authorities, who sent the bat to CDC to be tested for rabies, however, the animal was too decayed to produce a definitive result.
In a statement, the CDC said that transmission by eating an infected animal is “extremely uncommon”, but the two people were recommended they get treated as an extra precaution.
The CDC said that both people who ingested the salad didn’t show any sign of rabies and they were both in good health. They added that there have been no other “reports of bat material found in packaged salads”.
The investigation into how the dead bat came to be packaged with the salad involves the Florida department of health, the federal Food and Drug Administration and the CDC.
A limited recall for salads sold in a clear container, with a best-used date of 14 April and the production code G089B19 was issued by Fresh Express, the food company whose product contained the bat.
The CDC said that the recalled salads were only sold at Walmart stores in the south-eastern US, and that all the remaining salad packages from the related batch had been removed from the other store.
According to the CDC: “Consumers who may have already purchased the recalled product should discard and not consume it.”
The agency added that those who consumed the salad but haven’t found any animal remains were not at risk, but that consumers should contact the company for a full refund.
Fresh Express issued a statement saying it takes matters of food safety very seriously and rigorously complies with all food safety regulation”.
The following general recommendation was issued by the CDC: “Anyone who ate the recalled salad product and found animal material in it [should] contact their health department for evaluation.”